Monday, June 4, 2012

How The Scary Man changed my life in 8 minutes

Since I'm young and ignorant, I decided to e-mail the guy who wrote Wanted.

Michael Brandt is a really nice, down-to-earth guy who co-wrote and also directed The Double.  It was filmed in Detroit in 2010 and I worked as a PA in the production office. There's no way he remembers me. But I have the crew list and clearly no boundaries.

His show, Chicago Fire, was recently picked up by NBC. Perfect, right?!

He e-mailed me back the next day (nice, down-to-earth guy) and cc'd the e-mail address of the show's producer. I was beyond excited. I imdb'd the producer to check him out. I saw that he produced 190 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I took a deep breath and decided I should probably update my resume.
While sitting on the futon with Klare,

Klare.
my phone rang.

 I jumped up and banged every part of my Allie in the process of getting over to it.

The scariest voice I've ever heard said, "Is this Allie?"
I said "uh-huh" because I was scared and am not articulate.
"This is the producer for Chicago Fire".

His IMDB didn't have a pic but this I think this is him.
(Intro shaky voice Allie)
We talked for about a minute about MSU's program and then he said:

"Why the fuck are you moving to Chicago?"(expletive included) (sorry Mom)

I  quickly responded by opening and closing my mouth six times while lightly breathing into the phone.
This man did not beat around the bush. He said that if I really want to "make it" I need to go to LA. I brought up the homeless point and he didn't buy it. After enduring 8 solid minutes of verbal abuse from this powerful stranger I hung up, a little confused, excited, scared, nervous, hopeful and probably hungry.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. He made some really good points. I'm going home for a night tomorrow and we'll see what Lisa thinks. If anyone can outweigh Scary Man it's Scary Mom. We'll see.

But hey, look at this:"Efforts and courage are not enough without porpoise and direction."-John F. Kennedy

1 comment:

  1. Scary man's got a nice bod! and this is not so scary Aunt Laurie - he's right, go to LA, take a chance, you know scary mom and dad arn't going to let you do the homeless thing. You'll do great. One more step in the adventure!

    ReplyDelete